Aces are worth 1
2 – 9 cards are worth face value
10 – King cards are worth 0
- The premise of Baccarat is to wager whether the “Player” or the “Banker” is going to have the higher hand total (with the highest being 9), or if they will end in a tie.
- Baccarat has predetermined rules when it comes to drawing cards.
- To start the hand, you the bettor, will determine if you want to bet on the player, banker, or tie.
- Both sides will be dealt two cards. If either side is dealt an initial total of 8 or 9 the hand ends and the side with the highest total will be declared the winner.
- If neither side is dealt a “natural” (an 8 or 9 total), the hand of the player will be evaluated first. If the player’s hand total is 0-5, the player will always draw an additional card.
- The banker’s hand will be evaluated next. The banker will always draw to a total of 0-2 and stand on all totals 7 or higher. For totals between 3 and 6, the banker will draw an additional card based on the value of the card drawn by the player.
- If a hand totals more than ten points, you simply subtract 10 to get the baccarat point value.
Baccarat has very specific fixed rules as to when a third card will be drawn. Here are the situations in which a third card will be dealt:
- The banker will ALWAYS draw a third card on two-card totals of 0-2
- If the banker is dealt a two card total of 6 and the player did not draw a third card, the banker will stand
- If the banker is dealt a two card total of 6 and the player did draw a third card, the banker will draw a third card IF the player’s third card was 6 or 7
- If the banker is dealt a two card total of 5 or less and the player stands, the banker will draw a third card
- If the banker is dealt a two card total of 5 or less and the player draws a card and that card is a 4-7, the banker will draw a card
- If the banker’s initial two card total is a 4, and the player draws a card, the banker will draw a third card when the player’s third card was a 2-7
- IF the banker’s initial two card total is a 3 and the player draws a card, the banker will draw ONLY when the player hand’s third card was an 8
On the banker or player
1 to 1
On a tie
8 to 1